Thursday, April 24, 2008
A cutter & a power cord which is still connected to power source. Looks simple. But this two things almost took my life away, at around 3.30pm today. Was in the server room to changed the backup battery ( uninterrupted power supply - ups ) & busy rearranging back & swapping the power cord to the new ups. The power cords were everywhere & messy. I made the decision to cut & throw away the old power cord since taking out the power cords which was tied up & going through narrow way of the racks will be difficult & time consuming. I was very careful. Tracing the first power cord to the power channel, switching it off & cutting it out. Cut & threw away the second one. Tracing the third power cord & cutting it. In a blink of an eye, I saw a bright orange colour spark & a loud blast !!! In an instant, the whole office was black out. I was in a state of shocked! I was motionless. My heart beat was extremely fast. I was still standing at the same spot & was practically thinking of nothing. Colleagues came into the server room to check out what happened. I was trying to re-call what triggers the incident & I realised that, I have not switch off the third cord power source before cutting it off.
The power was restored by the maintenance people after about 10 minutes. The incident is still fresh in my mind. I'm glad I'm still alive & able to blog about this.